Thursday, July 16, 2009

You might be an OU graduate...


Okay, so growing up in pro-OSU families (Ryan's grandpa had the OU logo toilet paper, saying that TP was the only appropriate place for that emblem to be placed..., Andra has equal parts OSU and Texas roots - enough said), we've been well versed in all the ribbing that takes place at the Sooners' expense.

One morning driving away from church, how surprised were we when we spotted the above sign on the road. At first glance, you might have the same reaction we did - there was an OU club in NC? However, Ryan quickly noticed something about the sign. It was so humorous to him that he turned around to go back and drive by the sign again. The sign is wrong. If we're not mistaken, the name is the University of Oklahoma.

This leads us to one of three assumptions. Either the signmaker screwed up the sign, the people in the club named the club by an incorrect name, or the club is named the OU club and someone unknowing of the true name of the school just spelled out the acronym "OU" for the sign.

All of these are reasonable. But wouldn't an organization that is going to commit money to sponsoring a highway and, if our Greek days are any indication, commit time to keeping the roadside clean from litter, wouldn't they review the sign before it goes up or complain to get it replaced if it were wrong? If we were out there cleaning up a road and saw the sign that showed our organization's name on it was wrong, I'd probably look to get it fixed. "Okie State University Club" I don't think so.

Now, some of you might say, "It's simple, the extra 2 spaces needed to insert "of" wouldn't fit, so they rearranged it." First of all, it would need 3 extra spaces, but I won't hold that simple slip up aginast you. Second, if it were too long, why not go with "Univ. of Oklahoma Club" which is 2 characters shorter and accurate?

Go Pokes!

4 comments:

Amanda Gumtow said...

I enjoyed the updates! I am so glad you all are doing well! Andra, I had no idea your dad's family is from Bastrop. Steve's family is in Wimberley... and that's where we were last Christmas! Anyway, I hope we get a chance to catch up soon.

~Amanda

diane said...

wow!!! GREAT to hear updates and see the pics of you all! Miss you-

Heather said...

Awesome. If that's truly an OU fan, it proves their intelligence. And the fact that you'll. never. escape. them. Ha!

Okay...you SERIOUSLY need to update your blog! I thought I was bad! :) I want more Grayson, Andra & Ryan pictures and updates, friend!

Miss you guys lots and lots!

Heather said...

You are cracking me up that you just now verified my comment!!! :) That's hilarious! Miss you guys!!!

We'll see how much time goes before this one gets verified! ;)